Saturday, September 10, 2011

100th Post!!! Fanfold Flower Tutorial

Yay!! This is my 100th post!!! I think we should celebrate a bit with some BLOG CANDIE!!!! Leave me a comment on this post between now and 11:59pm(PST), Thursday, Sept.15th and I'll draw one random winner for a small RAK of paper flowers by moi, Paper Candie Designs :-)

So enjoy the tutorial and spread the word!

This is what I call a Fanfold Flower:



I started with a 1.5" x 12" strip of Cranberry Cardstock and scored it at 1/4" intervals . . . on my new MS scorboard!!! I'm not usually one for many tools/machines, but when I find one I like, like the scoreboard, I gots to have it!! I knew it would be perfect for making these flowers. And yes, there is a Tim Holtz die out there for the Sizzix that you can use as well to make this alittle less time consuming.



Then fanfold it:



Using a strong bonding liquid glue (I used CTMH's Liquid Glass), adhere the ends together to make a circle like so:



Cut or punch out a round base that will be used to stabalize your flower. Cover with strong bonding glue - I used large glue dots here.



This part is hard to explain, and difficult to do the first few times, but by holding lightly to the outside edges of your fanfold circle, press down lighly into the center to get it to "collapse" like so:



Adhere the cardstock base to the bottom of the flower. This gives it stability and makes it easier to glue together.



Add some more liquid glue to the center and push the outer edges in slightly so that the inside of the flower adheres to the glue - you will need to hold this here for a big so it can dry . . . maybe sing a little diddy while your waiting . . . I had the Zac Brown Band belting out "I've got my toes in the water, a$$ in the sand, not a worry in the world, a cold beer in my hand, life is good today, life is good today" in my head! Sorry, it was a reeeeaaaallly hot day here today! So now, if you've been following along making your flower while reading my rambling, it's probably close to dry now!!




I finished this one off by adding a My Mind's Eye specialty brad and inking the edges with black. I also left it all sit under something a bit weighty to finish drying completely and hold the brad in place (note, I did not pierce the brad thru, it is held by the glue). The sky's the limit though on how you'd like to finish yours! Have fun!! And I'd love for you to "Like" Paper Candie Designs on Facebook and share your flowers!!




Just to show the size difference, here is a 1"x12" strip made into the fanfold flower, next to the 1.5"x12" strip used in this tutorial. Doesn't take much to make it that much bigger!




And here is a glimpse of this type of flower in action . . . but only a glimpse because it is part of a page kit not yet released in support of BC Crop For Kids at the end of this month - I'll post more when it's been released for sale to the attendees.



Hope you enjoyed this tutorial - don't forget to leave a comment for your chance to win a RAK of handmade paper flowers!!

Happy Scrappin'!
Andie :-)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love making flowers this way. The polkadot paper really shows it off nicely too! Have you tried scalloping the outer edge first?
Chantelle

Andie said...

Chantelle - I have tried a couple of times using a border punch on the outer edge but they have yet to turn out nice enough for me! I gotta practise some more! But seen them that way in the magazines and love the look for sure.

~mindi~ said...

What cute flowers! This looks like even I could do it :)

Andie said...

I am sure you could, Mindi! And I'd love to see the "funk" you add to it :-)

Kelley Balzola said...

Andie, your flowers are gorgeous and love your blog :)

Kay Wallace said...

I have long admired these flowers, and even bought more than one! I think I can handle this! hehe But, I am with you...I want to see Mindi place a bit of "funk" on one! ;-)

Midsouth Momma said...

You are very creative! Love the beautiful work you do!

Wilna said...

I love a gal who makes flowers, I think we can share lots. cutting edges with a scallop scissors works quite well, then you score

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to try that. Just getting back into scrapping after several years of procrastinating.

Unknown said...

Unknown was me, Carolyn.

Andie said...

Thanks for all the comments ladies, you rock!! Just drew a winner and . . . drum roll please . . . Chantelle!!! Will get you your prize the next time I see you then, my dear!!

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!

Chantelle