Paper flowers have taken over my house! Literally. I just finished making 239 paper flowers to be put into goodie bags for the BC Crop for Kids, and I'm loving how they turned out!
I have no idea if they have a name, but I am calling them "punch and scrunch" flowers . . .cuz you punch em' and scrunch em'. . . pretty original of me, hey?!
Seriously though, I used a 2" Scallop Punch and did the following:
1) punch out 6 scallops for each flower - can be same pattern or mix of patterns, and a pattern on both sides of the papaer looks even better!
2) lightly mist the scallops with some water - LIGHTLY, you do not want them to get too wet and end up ripping, but you want the paper to be more pliable. Also, when your finished product dries it will harden and hold it's shape.
3) crumple each individual scallop into a ball.
4) flatten the crumpled scallop out.
5) stack the scallops - do not worry about them being perfectly straight, and if you are working with more than one pattern paper, or double sided, alter the pattern as you stack.
6) Pierce a brad thru the center - good way to use up some old ones you may have hangin' around, as you will not see the brad thru the finished flower.
7) Now, starting with the top scallop, crumple/pinch into the center. Do each layer one by one, and when your done you should have what resembles a rose bud.
8) Finally, slowly "unfold" this rose bud untill you are happy with your flower :-)
Here is a closer look of the ones I did - and I just love how each flower looks so different!
So since my world was already submerged in paper flowers these days, and it was my turn to post the Design Team Challenge at Let's Scrap this week . . . yep, you guessed it, Challenge 112 is all about paper flowers! The challenge is to use at least one HANDMADE paper flower on your card or layout, using a Let's Scrap sketch of course :-)
Here is my example for the challenge, where I've used one large punch and scrunch flower and two mini ones:
A close up of the punch and scrunch flower:
This one is a mini punch and scrunch flower - I used the largest flower from Stampin' Up!'s "Boho Blossoms" punch (item# 119858), and as much as I love the look of it, my fingers did not enjoy working with something that small, so beware of intricate work on these!
another mini punched and scrunched flower:
So give it a try, and stay tuned for more styles of paper flowers to come!!