Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Not MIA, just took a vacation and went back to basics!

Hello!!!  Yes, I'm still kickin' around, just took a breather from blogging, oh, and went on a vacation!

At the end of February we decided to surprise the kids with a trip to Disneyland!!!  Oh, what great FUN that was planning and scheming, mwah ha ha! I had not been there since I was 14 years old, and neither of the kids had been yet at all.  My parents decided to join us and were in on the scheming!  I think I was more excited about the surprise part of the trip then the actual trip itself!

So how did we pull this off without the kids knowing a single thing or even suspecting a thing???  Well, it helps my kids are really easy to fool ;-)  tee hee!  But here is how it all fell into place;

Hubby was in LA for work already so I told the kids we had to go to the airport to pick up Dad.  I had packed our suitcases and loaded them into the van the night before - I felt like a bandit in the night sneaking into their rooms for clothes and stuffies (can't leave home without those!) and out to the garage without waking them.  This takes the highly trained skills of Super Mom I tell ya!  But there were no questions or suspicion first thing in the morning when I woke them up and loaded them into the van to head to the airport.

Oh!  I have to add here too, I told the kids a few days prior that we were taking the puppy to a "special training" resort for five days and would be dropping her off just before picking up Daddy from the airport.  Genius I tell you, just genius!  Yes, I am totally tooting my own horn :-)  I got them all the way to the Park n' Fly without knowing a thing then told them Surprise #1 when they saw their luggage being loaded onto the shuttle . . . we are going to LA to meet Daddy for a few days!!!!  I recorded their reaction to this and it was awesome!

Surpirse #2 - We arrived at LAX and met up with Daddy, collected our luggage and made our way outside to catch our shuttle.  As the kids walked out the doors they were saw Grandma and Grandpa were there!!  Pretty sure this was their favourite surprise :-)

Surprise #3 - Just as our hugs and hellos wrapped up with Grandma and Grandpa, we made the kids close their eyes while we put on Mickey Mouse hats and as they opened their eyes we blew on party horns and yelled "Surprise!!  You're going to Disneyland!!!"  Whoot whoot!!!

Now, these poor kids were tired from a day of travel and surprise after surprise, so their reaction to finding out they were going to Disneyland was not quite as epic as I had pictured in my mind for the weeks of planning leading up!  But by the next morning as we were getting ready for our first day there, they were bouncing off the walls with excitement!

Here are a few of my favourite photos from our 4 day visit to Disneyland and California Adventureland:

The whole gang at the front gate:


Meeting Tinkerbell - can you see how happy my girl is?!  One of my absolute favourite moments of the trip.


So it rained 3 out of the 4 days we were there - LA getting more rain in those first 2 days then they had in the last 2 years I may add! - but the best part of this was the super short line ups for all the rides.  We rode this California Screamin' roller coaster 5 times till we got the perfect photo of the four of us!  Love it!


My Jess with Jessie :-)


Favourite family photo:


Despite the rain and the many blisters we all endured on our poor feet, it was truly an amazing trip and we were all sad to leave.  The kids are already planning our trip to Disney World now!  Mom and Dad are saving for Hawaii first though :-)

So what about scrapbooking?  Well, I've been busy planning and prepping classes for Scrap Addicts and loving it.  I really enjoy working and teaching at the store - and being surrounded by all that beautiful product all the time!!  What I'd like to share with you today is my newest monthly class, Sketch of the Month (formerly Scrapbook 101).  Once a month I choose a sketch from a Scrapbook Generation sketch book (love these sketches!) and create a layout using a maximum of $15 worth of product.  Customers taking the class bring in a specified number of photos, have a Gift Certificate for $15 to shop for their supplies based on their photos (GC is included in class fee), and then together we create a double page layout from start to finish!  The ladies that have joined me so far have loved going home with a completed layout ready to add to their albums, and I love seeing the different takes on one sketch!

Here was April's layout:


With tips given on clustering embellishments.  I used one sticker sheet from this Echo Park line and simply cut, layered and popped up, adding only a few buttons and twine.



Now May's layout I wasn't as pleased with initially.  Something about the yellow cardstock bothered me, so I trimmed it a bit and backed it on the reddy pink cardstock.  I also wish I had used twine all across for the banner instead of faux stitching, but it's nothing I can't live with :-)  Just loved the banner part of this sketch and knew this Doodlebug line would work perfectly for the banner and my Easter photos.  Oh, and those Doodlebug enamel "Sprinkles" - LOVE THEM!!!



Now we're onto June, and since the class isn't until the 18th and 19th I can only show you sneak peeks!  I used Echo Parks "Summer Bliss" and focused on the 3"x4" cards from this sheet:






The best part of using the 3"x4" cards as the main pattern paper for the layout, is that there was more left in the budget for embellishments!  My favourite that I used on this layout is the paper flower kit from Basic Grey's Fresh Cut collection - they went beautifully with this Summer Bliss paper!

So if you are in the Edmonton area I'd love for you to join me in this class on either Weds. June 18th from 6:30pm - 9:30pm or Thursday, June 19th from 10:30am - 1:30pm.
Not in the area?  No problem, kits are available, you'll just need to cover shipping :-)

Well, I think this is one of my longest posts to date, at least it feels that way since it's taken me ALL DAY to piece it together bits at a time!  Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my post :-)

Happy Scrappin'!!

ANDIE :-) 





No comments: